Senior Manager - Microsoft SQL Server Database Administrator
Experience Level: MidApply Now
GLG Technology team
The Technology Team at GLG builds the platform that matches companies around the world with the experts who can help them make the right call on their most important decisions. GLG is building a next generation platform to transform our industry, and we’re looking for people to help define and build our data infrastructure. Joining GLG’s Database Reliability Engineering (DRE) team, you’ll collaborate with other database administrators, database engineers, systems architects, software engineers, product managers, and users to set and achieve goals that help GLG continue to define the future of work.
Database Reliability Engineering at GLG is a union of traditional database administration, database engineering, system operations, and software engineering. We focus on the interactions between applications and data stores. We build a deep understanding of applications, data pipelines, data stores, and develop code and configuration to optimize the interactions between those components for scalability, performance, and resilience. We work closely with application teams on the construction of data-heavy systems, providing expert guidance on the design and implementation of data stores and the software systems that use them.
Specific Responsibilities Include (but are not limited to):
- Tune SQL queries to increase performance and decrease overall system impact.
- Monitor servers for performance problems and alleviate bottlenecks.
- Design and refactor data structures to meet performance goals.
- Review schema change proposals from development teams and suggest best practices.
- Administrate database roles and users.
- Monitor and maintain database backups and restores.
- Ensure optimal database indexing.
- Conduct capacity planning and make and implement recommendations.
- Coach, educate, and lead other engineers across the technology organization on how to best interact with data through pairing, design reviews, blogging, and teaching sessions.
You will have most of the following:
- 5+ years experience managing and administrating production Microsoft SQL Server infrastructures.
- 5+ years experience working with Microsoft SQL Server 2012+; Ideally SQL 2016 or higher.
- An affinity for tracking down and optimizing performance issues in Microsoft SQL Server.
- Strong communication skills and the ability to educate other team members on performance-minded schema and query design.
- Expertise in T-SQL.
- Strong SQL Server performance tuning abilities. You must understand the SQL optimizer and be able to improve query performance without the aid of tools such as the index tuning adviser.
- Ability to read and understand SQL Server explain plans.
- Working knowledge of database design fundamentals. You will learn the existing database schema and relationships and be capable of suggesting best practices when reviewing schema modifications from development teams.
About GLG / Gerson Lehrman Group
GLG is the world’s knowledge marketplace. Our clients rely on GLG’s global team to connect with powerful insight across fields from our network of 700,000+ experts (and the hundreds of new experts we recruit every day).
We serve thousands of the world’s best businesses, from Fortune 500 corporations to leading technology companies to professional services firms and financial institutions. We connect our clients to the world’s largest and most varied source of first-hand expertise, including executives, scientists, academics, former public-sector leaders, and the foremost subject matter specialists.
GLG’s industry-leading compliance framework allows clients to learn in a structured, auditable, and transparent way, consistent with their own internal compliance obligations and the highest professional ethical standards. Our compliance standards are a major competitive differentiator and key component of the company’s culture.
To learn more, visit www.GLG.it.