Principal Database Engineer
Experience Level: SeniorApply Now
Software Engineers at GLG build the platform that matches companies around the world with the experts who can help them make the right call on their most important decisions. GLG is building a next generation platform to transform our industry, and we’re looking for people to help define and build our data infrastructure. Joining GLG’s Database Reliability Engineering (DRE) team, you’ll pair with other engineers, product managers, and users to set and achieve goals that help GLG continue to define the future of work.
Database Reliability Engineering at GLG is a union of traditional database administration, database engineering, system operations, and software engineering. DRE’s focus on the interactions between applications and data stores. We build a deep understanding of applications, data pipelines, and data stores, and develop code and configuration to optimize the interactions between those components for scalability, performance, and resilience. We work closely with application teams on the construction of new data-heavy systems, providing expert guidance on the design and implementation of data stores and the software systems that use them.
Specific Responsibilities Include (but are not limited to):
- Tune existing data interactions to increase performance and decrease overall system impact.
- Design and restructure data storage infrastructure to meet performance goals.
- Architect and select the right tools and technologies to provide data movement and structures that are well organized, secure and performant.
- Coach, educate, and lead other engineers across the technology organization on how to best interact with data through pairing, design reviews, blogging, and teaching sessions.
- Administrate existing databases and data infrastructure (backups, indexing, capacity planning, deployments, etc.)
- Work with the latest approaches to create scalable storage solutions for our applications. (for example, Azure SQL, Azure Data Lake, S3, DynamoDB, etc.)
- Lead with the cloud. Focus on leveraging cloud services where appropriate to move away from managing individual servers.
An ideal candidate will have the following:
- 8+ years experience as a data engineer building and maintaining production data systems and long-term storage mechanisms.
- 8+ years experience managing and administrating production Microsoft SQL Server infrastructures.
- 3+ years experience working with Microsoft SQL Server 2012+; Ideally SQL 2016 or higher.
- An affinity for tracking down and optimizing performance issues in Microsoft SQL Server.
- Strong communication skills and the ability to educate other team members on performance-minded schema and query design.
- A desire to participate in all aspects of the development lifecycle from inception to implementation and support.
- Proficiency coding in 1 or more of the following: PowerShell, Python, Node.js, Bash, Java, C#
- The ability to work with vague requirements to drive impactful solutions.
- Expertise in T-SQL.
- Familiarity with basic cloud concepts and experience with at least one cloud provider (AWS, Azure, Google).
About GLG / Gerson Lehrman Group
GLG is the world’s knowledge marketplace. Our clients rely on GLG’s global team to connect with powerful insight across fields from our network of 700,000+ experts (and the hundreds of new experts we recruit every day).
We serve thousands of the world’s best businesses, from Fortune 500 corporations to leading technology companies to professional services firms and financial institutions. We connect our clients to the world’s largest and most varied source of first-hand expertise, including executives, scientists, academics, former public-sector leaders, and the foremost subject matter specialists.
GLG’s industry-leading compliance framework allows clients to learn in a structured, auditable, and transparent way, consistent with their own internal compliance obligations and the highest professional ethical standards. Our compliance standards are a major competitive differentiator and key component of the company’s culture.
To learn more, visit www.GLG.it.