Reporting to the CFO, the Global Controller will be responsible for all accounting and tax matters for the global organization, encompassing both US/Domestic and International matters across 12 countries throughout the EMEA and APAC regions. Furthermore, the Global Controller will act as a change agent within the organization with a consistent focus on change management, finance transformation and continuous improvement.
The Global Controller will lead a team of 35 professionals located in New York, Austin and Gurugram, India, and will oversee the following functions: Accounts Receivable and Collections, Accounts Payable and Global Disbursements, Payroll, Contract Management, Revenue Accounting, General Ledger Accounting, Consolidations, Financial Reporting and Tax. In addition to being technically proficient, the ideal candidate will be capable of designing and implementing practical solutions to drive enterprise value and will be a leader who constantly strives towards bringing out the best in their team.
- Oversee global Accounting operations and month-end close process, including:
- Accounts Receivable and Collections, Accounts Payable and Global Disbursements (including high volume Council Member payments), Payroll, Contract Management, Revenue Accounting, General Ledger Accounting, Consolidations and Financial Reporting
- Oversee global Tax function, including:
- Income tax accounting and related financial statement disclosures, Income tax compliance (US + International), VAT and other tax compliance, Sales & Use tax compliance, transfer pricing, global mobility matters, advising on applicability of sales tax on GLG’s services, advising on foreign withholding tax matters
- Transformation and re-engineering of significant financial processes, such as optimizing the monthly financial close process, order to cash etc. This includes (new) system implementations to drive improved effectiveness and efficiency
- Manage working capital and liquidity needs. Monitor global cash balances across all legal entities, approve funding requirements for international entities. Measure, track and report on DSO metrics
- Build and maintain global corporate policies, including Contracting with Customers, T&E, Corporate Cards and Vendor Contracting Authority
- Close coordination with Core Engineering and Enterprise Transformation teams to ensure GLG’s systems sufficiently support business operations
- Advise on technical accounting matters, primarily for non-recurring transactions and adoption of new FASB standards and updates under US GAAP
- Active participation in Audit Committee meetings, presenting on matters that include tax audit status, approval of non-audit services by independent audit firm, new accounting standards, etc.
- Maintain and manage overall relationship with global professional service firms, negotiating and monitoring fees, managing engagement letters and SOWs
- Oversee annual statutory audits for six foreign subsidiaries; advise on adoption of new IFRS or local GAAP standards
- Provide guidance and approvals on certain non-standard terms on client contracts, including payment terms, invoicing terms and revenue implications
- Review monthly consolidation and financial statements, as well as quarterly financial statements and flux analyses
- Liaise with Legal department on other contract matters, including review and approval of appropriate contracting entity
- Oversee annual audit of 401k Plan and Form 5500 filing
- Manage all equity transactions, stock-based compensation matters, cap table management, and certain investor relations communications
- Conduct annual and ongoing impairment analyses for long-term assets, including minority investments, fixed assets and capitalized software assets.
- Provide input to budgeting process for Accounting department, including global professional fees and headcount requirements
- Review and approve debt compliance calculations
- Manage banking relationships in conjunction with Head of Corporate Finance
- Maintain effective internal controls across all key financial processes
- 15-20 years’ experience, with a combination of public accounting (Big 4 preferred) + deep experience managing global accounting operations
- CPA required
- Previous experience in Controller role for a global company with at least $250M in revenue, required
- Previous experience in managing teams of 25+ employees, including remotely managing professionals based in other US or foreign locations
- Experience with IPO in controller role strongly preferred
- Extensive background in finance transformation, with experience driving continuous improvement initiatives cross-functionally across an organization
- Established reputation for building strong relationships across the organization to drive enterprise value
- An accomplished leader who readily focuses on developing their team members and implementing clear succession plans to facilitate growth
- Discretion in handling highly confidential financial and compensation matters
- Ability to prioritize and balance competing priorities
- Some travel required (post-COVID): 4-6x/year (US + International)
- Familiarity with the following systems/ tools a plus: Microsoft Dynamics Great Plains, Salesforce, Anytime Collect, AvidXchange, Concur
About GLG / Gerson Lehrman Group
GLG is the world’s knowledge marketplace. Our clients rely on GLG’s global team to connect with powerful insight across fields from our network of 700,000+ experts (and the hundreds of new experts we recruit every day).
We serve thousands of the world’s best businesses, from Fortune 500 corporations to leading technology companies to professional services firms and financial institutions. We connect our clients to the world’s largest and most varied source of first-hand expertise, including executives, scientists, academics, former public-sector leaders, and the foremost subject matter specialists.
GLG’s industry-leading compliance framework allows clients to learn in a structured, auditable, and transparent way, consistent with their own internal compliance obligations and the highest professional ethical standards. Our compliance standards are a major competitive differentiator and key component of the company’s culture.
To learn more, visit www.GLGinsights.com.